Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

What are your cleaning products doing to you and your family and the environment

Myself  having a small child, want to keep my house as clean as possible. But, I often wondered as I cleaned and had to hold my breath from the smell of the cleaners. Or shut the door and opened the window to protect her from the smell, are these products really safe? Even the ones that have a pleasant smell, it's suprising to find they are not any safer. Many of us use toxic chemicals in everyday life, sometimes we are aware of it, sometimes we are not. Many actions that seem harmless, involve the use of harmful chemicals.Household cleaners,garden pesticides, paints, batteries, detergents, even flea powder can be hazardous to our health and the environment. Detergents ,degreasers, stain removers and pesticides have made our homes minature chemical factories.Hazardous chemicals endanger the enviroment by contaminating our ground water, lakes and oceans. If these harardous products  in the home are ingested, absorbed through the skin or inhaled they can cause illness that may only appear years later.Here are some facts that may suprise you. Did you know one of the biggest culprits of ocean pollution is phosphates, common in laundry detergents and some cleaning products. We as Americans use 30 pounds of laundry detergent a year. As a whole we use 8.3 billion pounds of dry detergent and 1 billion gallons of liquid detergent a year.High phosphate levels kills life in river, streams, and oceans. Causing "algae blooms" this is were algae slimes grow dense enough to suffocate marine life. These are largely caused by fertilizers pollutants. This could destroy many of are scenic and commerically valuable waters. Some progress has been made , phosphates have be band in alot of detergents. But, many still contain them. So you need to read labels and buy products that don't contain phosphates. This is just one product we use in our home. I will cover more, I want to be more aware of what I'm doing to the environment inside and outside my home. For the sake of my family and others. I will be covering more products and how they effect our health and the environment. Please visit again.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand the holding breath part of your past experience with cleaning! I used to be there too! In fact, I turned red and got overheated when I was around certain cleaners. I am so happy with the green products we use now. They work extremely well, they are safe around my kids, and I don't need the fan on when I clean!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Jennifer. I'm a single parent of a 16 year old daughter and 11 year old son. I have a lot of hobbies and interests. Love to learn new things. I find as I get older and I watch my children grow I want to slow down and take time to enjoy them. But, in this world we live in it's hard to do that. So this is going to be a written account of my journey. Taking a leap of faith, and trying to live and enjoy life in the slow lane (so to speak)

Followers