Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

How to build a compost bin from a trash can

I have tryed for years to get a compost pile going. It's great to put on your garden and around plants. I always do something wrong and end up with a pile of weeds. Or it's in the way and becomes a mowing headache. If you look at the bins they sell for compost, they are so expensive.So here is a great idea. Use a trash can. It's not expensive and works great! It needs to be round  32 gallon and have a lid that snaps shut. But, you could use a bungee cord to hold the lid on. Pick a dark color, it absorbs heat. Then drill holes all over the garbage can using 1/2 drill bit. This is for drainage and sufficent air. Now your ready to use, place a layer of either woodchips, saw dust or dry straw about 2 to 3 inches thick. Improves drainage and helps asborb moisture.Start adding ingredients, you can use veggie peels and melon rinds, cores, stale bread or crackers, egg shells, nutshells, coffee grounds, teabags, moldy fruit and veggies. Cut up large pieces of banana peels and melon rinds first, before adding. Also, you can add stuff from your yard grass clippings, dead flowers,weeds, fallen leaves. As well as paper products like newspaper (shredded) and paper napkins. DO NOT put meat, grease, bones, dairy products, in compost bin. They will smell as they decay and attract unwanted insects and animals. To make compost efficiently include mixtures of greens "fresh plant materials" and browns " paper, twigs and dead leaves". Adding a shovelful of healthy garden soil is a good way to get composting process started. Since there are all kinds of microorganisms in the soil and they are needed to get decomposition process started.It's not necessary to add worms.Keep adding green and brown organic waste until bin is full. It's important to keep compost wet, but not to wet. Check often if it's dry, sprinkle with water.Then roll the garbage can over several times to mix content.Compost should be mixed several times a week. You should have brown rich compost in 4-12 weeks if you follow these steps. Happy Gardening!!!

1 comment:

  1. Is there a way to subscribe to your blog via email? I found you on MBC Simply Follow, but I don't actually see it if I put it on google. Would love to actually get this at my inbox.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Jennifer. I'm a single parent of a 16 year old daughter and 11 year old son. I have a lot of hobbies and interests. Love to learn new things. I find as I get older and I watch my children grow I want to slow down and take time to enjoy them. But, in this world we live in it's hard to do that. So this is going to be a written account of my journey. Taking a leap of faith, and trying to live and enjoy life in the slow lane (so to speak)

Followers